The Communications Director at MBC reports directly to the Lead Pastor Team and will be primarily tasked with the following:
- Develop a multi-channel communications strategy driven by the MBCs mission, vision, and values.
- Unify and align MBC’s everyday messaging with the church’s voice, goals and priorities.
- Partner with ministries, meeting with them and creating communications plan within each department to provide clear next steps for all of our staff, members and volunteers.
- Build and guide a team of communication staff and volunteers to implement effective communications strategies across our entire church.
- Ensure high-quality and high-impact communications across multiple channels to help us reach both internal and external audiences.
- Advocate for creative and clear communications in all settings.
- Manage personal and team time to proactively plan and work with ministries to support/guide their communications efforts.
- Develop and/or oversee processes and tools that foster effective communications flow.
- Maintain strong implementation of communications strategy, writing/editing, graphic design and social media, with a high value on audience engagement.
- Network with other church communications teams.
- Lead and manage coordinators, assistants and/or volunteers to delegate specific tasks along the following lines:
- Help strategize and plan communications/marketing 6-12 months in advance.
- Own and manage the church’s brand/identity.
- Keep our social media/website engaging and aligned with the digital ministry plan.
- Participate in the creation of digital and print content.
- Capture and share stories of life change and impact.
- Measure and report engagement across various platforms.
- Carry out the day-to-day tasks of facilitating communications/marketing.
We believe our future Communications Director will likely include core strengths, training and demonstrated expertise in each of the following areas:
Leadership | Leader, big-picture planner, ministry partner, coach and motivator. Lead and manage other staff and volunteers to implement communications strategies. Provide leadership and management in the area of external/internal communications and marketing through print and electronic vehicles for the church.
Oversight/Coaching/Training | Educate people about procedures and processes for communicating church messages. Meet them where they are in their level of understanding and help them come to know what we do and why we do it and how they can contribute to the overall effectiveness of church communications.
Creativity | Continually look for ways to communicate existing churchwide and ministry programs in creative ways that will evoke a response from the congregation and community.
Marketing/Public Relations | Assess and determine the most effective ways to communicate a message to its intended audience.
Organizational Planning | Understand vision cast by leadership and organize communications messages in a way that best reflects our unique calling and identity as a church.
Relational Competence | Sit at the table with leadership and act as an advocate for creative and clear communications. Connect with ministries on a personal face-to-face and regular basis to understand their ministries’ goals and needs.
Technical Proficiency | Must be extremely comfortable working with and learning new software/technology as needed.
Writing | Demonstrates strong copywriting and editing skills. Can communicate clearly and effectively using the written word.
Design | Familiar with or can quickly learn and direct basic design principles utilizing and/or developing proficiency in design applications as needed.
- A heart for the local church, a growing relationship with Jesus Christ and a passion to use communications to reach others with the gospel.
- Degree in communications, media, or related field, plus at least four years of communications department leadership.
- Proficient in Creative Suite programs, such as Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to take projects from beginning to end.
- Organized and able to manage multiple projects.
- Action-oriented and displays focus, passion and initiative. Takes appropriate action when something needs to be done.
- Relates well to all kinds of people, builds effective relationships, communicates effectively both interpersonally and corporately.
- Organized, creative thinker and highly productive, working in a fast-paced environment.
- Committed to improvement, seeks constructive criticism, understands strengths and weaknesses.
- Sample projects/prior work in each of the above areas required
- 4-5 personal and professional references affirming all of the above